Our simple church tells a powerful story of German immigrants who built it in 1885 and the discrimination they faced in 1918. We’re proud to call this building our home – and to emphasize our congregation’s commitment to stand up to religious and social intolerance.
The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Dubuque invites you to join us in restoring this historic building – revitalizing our Jackson Park neighborhood – investing in our downtown community.
Thanks to the efforts of our partners, donors, and friends, we will once again be able to showcase the warm beauty and welcoming presence of this “Gem” in the Jackson Park Historic District. We are not only restoring the bricks and mortar of our building, we’re renewing our commitment to serve as a resource to Dubuque – opening our doors even wider for community events and conversations.
We’re working hard to revive the life of this building. But we also need your support to reach our goal. Please join us now – as one of many “Friends of the Gem.” Learn how to donate today!
In the News
- May 2nd, 2023, will be a day of celebration – as we will receive two Historic Preservation Awards that evening: one from the City of Dubuque Historic Preservation Commission and one from the Dubuque County Historic Preservation Commission in conjunction with the Dubuque County Historical Society. Our UU Fellowship and our project partners have been chosen as one of the recipients of the 2023 Ken Kringle Historic Preservation Commission Awards! The award is for the best preservation and rehabilitation projects in the City of Dubuque. It is named after the late Ken Kringle, for his dedication to historic preservation through involvement with the Historic Preservation Commission, Bluff Street Neighborhood Association, and Old House Enthusiasts Club.
- Dubuque church renovation uncovers another historic treasure, Telegraph Herald, June 25, 2022
- Unexpected discovery: 136-year-old time capsule unearthed during Dubuque church project, Telegraph Herald, Nov 27, 2021
- Dubuque church restoration project gives whole neighborhood a lift, Telegraph Herald, Jan 8, 2021
- Unitarian congregation raises $215,000 toward restoration, Telegraph Herald, Jan 4, 2021
- Heritage Works Community Benefit Project: The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship project, Heritage Works Year-End 2020 Newsletter